International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) presented the new Strategic Plan, that articulates the mission of FIP in order to further strategic partnerships, purposeful collaborations and enhanced benefits for members & the profession. It defines the scope of the federation and will guide its activities for the next five years.
FIP has led the profession globally since 1912. During that time, the organisation has expanded and organised itself to include, represent and advocate for many types, sectors, sections across pharmacy, pharmacists and pharmaceutical science. Like all membership organisations, FIP must adapt to the demanding challenges facing the profession worldwide, in order to thrive.
FIP supports global health by enabling the advancement of pharmaceutical practice, sciences and education. FIP will:
- Advocate for the full utilisation of pharmacists’ expertise for the benefit of people and healthcare systems;
- Promote pharmacy as the first point of access for pharmaceutical care for every person in the world;
- Support and strengthen the integrity of the pharmaceutical supply chain from manufacturing to patient access;
- Improve health outcomes by the development and implementation of pharmacy services;
- Support the science-based development and regulation of medicines and health technologies to meet healthcare needs;
- Support pharmaceutical workforce development around the world to deliver our vision;
- Collaborate with international agencies, partners, and other healthcare professions, to ensure comprehensive and integrated health care for all.
FIP will collaborate with all its members and observers to maximise the global influence and contributions to healthcare of pharmacists, pharmaceutical scientists and pharmacy educators. FIP commits to strive for the following six strategic outcomes to be achieved:
Strategic Outcomes of the Plan:
1. Everyone has access to the medicines they need.
2. Everyone has access to the health and medicines-related information they need.
3. Everyone benefits from innovations in medicines, health technologies and services.
4. Pharmacists ensure the responsible and quality use of medicines.
5. Work collaboratively to ensure comprehensive and integrated healthcare outcomes for patients.
6. FIP is a cost-effective, unified, vibrant and growing organisation that meets the need and supports the work of its members.
“FIP has led the profession globally since 1912, expanding and organising itself to include, represent and advocate for many types, sectors, sections across pharmacy, pharmacists and pharmaceutical science. Our mission remains: to support global health by enabling the advancement of pharmaceutical practice, sciences and education,”
said FIP CEO Catherine Duggan.
“Like all membership organisations in order to thrive, we must adapt to the demanding challenges facing the profession worldwide. This Strategic Plan has been developed in full consultation with our member organisations and FIP officers. With this new plan, we will maximise the strengths of our position and reach, take advantage of opportunities for growth that have been identified in the global healthcare environment, including strengthening partnerships and collaborations and we will mitigate any weaknesses and threats from competition or duplication of efforts.”