Emergent BioSolutions (Gaithersburg, USA) has entered into an agreement to acquire PaxVax, a US company focused on specialty vaccines that protect against existing and emerging infectious diseases, for $270 million.
Upon the closing of the transaction, Emergent will acquire:
- Vivotif® (Typhoid Vaccine Live Oral Ty21a), the only oral vaccine licensed by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the prevention of typhoid fever, a potentially severe and life-threatening infection caused by the bacterium S. Typhi. Vivotif is licensed for sale in 27 countries.
- Vaxchora® (Cholera Vaccine Live Oral), the only FDA-licensed vaccine for the prevention of cholera caused by Vibrio cholerae serogroup O1, a potentially serious intestinal disease
- An Adenovirus 4/7 vaccine candidate being developed for military personnel under contract with the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) and additional clinical-stage vaccine candidates targeting Chikungunya and other emerging infectious diseases
- European-based cGMP biologics manufacturing facilities
- Approximately 250 employees including those in research and development (R&D), manufacturing, and commercial operations with a specialty salesforce
This acquisition will broaden Emergent’s development pipeline with the addition of a next generation adenovirus 4/7 vaccine being developed under contract with the DoD. This vaccine candidate is intended to meet the government’s stated requirement of protecting the US military against adenovirus types 4 and 7, which are common causes of acute respiratory disease. The vaccine pipeline also includes a Phase 2 candidate to address Chikungunya, a viral disease spread to humans by infected mosquitoes that can cause severely debilitating joint pain, as well as additional clinical-stage products with the potential for partnering that address a number of emerging infectious diseases.
Through this acquisition, Emergent will expand its sales capabilities and supplement its core competencies in government contracting with the addition of a global commercial salesforce and marketing and distribution partners focused on the travel vaccines market. The company will also strengthen its manufacturing capabilities with the acquisition of European-based cGMP biologics facilities, expanding its international operations and enhancing opportunities for contract development and manufacturing.
Emergent Biosolutions, a global specialty pharmaceutical company, offers specialized products to healthcare providers and governments to address medical needs and emerging health threats.