Supplies of technical API to Russia declined for the first time in three years

| By | API, Pharmaceutical Manufacturing, RNC Pharma
0
330

In Q1 2018, Russia imported active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) for 22.0 billion rubles (in prices set for release for free circulation, including VAT). In ruble-denominated terms, the supplies increased by 28% compared to the same period of 2017.

In physical terms, the growth was also high, as the supplies of API to Russia rose by 11%. Overall, 2.68 thousand tons of API have been imported since the beginning of 2018.

This year, there was a noticeable change in the structure of imported pharmaceutical substances. In particular, after several years of progressive growth for technical API, this group demonstrated a significant decline in Q1 2018. In physical terms, supplies dropped by 8% and, in monetary terms, they declined by 4.4%. During the period, technical purity class materials were supplied from three countries. The bulk of supplies (97% in physical terms) came from China, while the second position was held by India (2.7%), and the Czech Republic was the third.

The past year was also marked by significant decline in the range of technical materials. In Q1 2018, the imports included only 46 types of API (in terms of INN) while, a year earlier, this figure was 64. In the current year, the imports are led by atazanavir (in Q1, 946 kg were imported for 60.5 million rubles). About 90% of this amount were purchased by Pharmasyntez (Irkutsk), as the company registered Simanod, a drug, in 2017. The remaining 10% were imported by Pharmoslavl (R-Pharm Group).

Fluconazole and chondroitin sulfate lead in terms of growth of technical API imports. The former is imported by Active Component, and the latter by Sintez (Kurgan). During the period, the same substances were imported to Russia for Pharmacopoeia purposes. However, in physical terms, the dominant share is held by technical raw materials.