2018 is a special year for Pyatigorsk Medical and Pharmaceutical Institute. The year marks its 75th anniversary, a glorious jubilee for this institution of higher education, the successor of Pyatigorsk Pharmaceutical Institute and Pyatigorsk State Pharmaceutical Academy.
Pyatigorsk Pharmaceutical Institute was founded in 1943 (by the Decree No. 5597r of the Council of People’s Commissars of the USSR adopted on 27.03.1943). March 27, 1943, is considered to be the day of establishing the Institute.
Currently, Pyatigorsk Medical and Pharmaceutical Institute (PMPhI) is a branch of the Volgograd State Medical University, a federal state budgetary educational institution of higher education of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation. The Institute is included in the register of UNESCO universities and guarantees a prestigious education.
The scientific portfolio of researchers working in PMPhI includes the development of a new complex drug for the treatment of tuberculosis and leprosy; drugs for the treatment of AIDS, oncological and cardiovascular diseases, peptic ulcer, diabetes, migraine, and many other pathologies.
The existence of its own center for preclinical studies allows PMPhI to test up to 25 medicinal products, including original drugs, a year under the orders placed by pharmaceutical companies.
PMPhI is the largest pharmaceutical institution of higher education in Russia that has its rich educational and scientific traditions, and scientific schools. The Institute has 23 departments and 65 units.